Thread: Top 10 rewards - insiration from EA

Default Top 10 rewards - insiration from EA

The top 10 is good as much as it allows the winners to put some pixels on their page, however there is no reward in real terms.

In the past there has been no real reward for the top tier competitive players in FIFA (focusing on Ultimate Team), however the introduction of a new tournament system (FUT Champions) enabled the experienced and good players to earn in-game currency by playing (and winning) and the game consistently (whilst also encouraging the lower quality players to work on their playstyle). From my experience, this has encouraged many players to put more hours into the game in search of premium rewards, and has also made the scene much more competitive. In addition, it enabled players without the backing of a stacked bank account to create clubs of a similar prestige to those investing heavily in the game.

How can this case-study be applied to Travian, though? Well I suggest one possibility (with plenty of opportunities for development):

Have actual rewards for getting in the top 10 (both inconsistently AND consistently). Currently is there enough of an incentive to put that extra 5% in to make the charts? If a player was maybe 5 or 10 population points away from the top 10, then would they consider golding up a building or two to get there? Probably not - unless there was an actual reward (resources, in-game currency, 5% off their next purchase...).
    When you feed rams, they get sent to the grave by me: http://travian-reports.net/us/report/496045ba4ba

Epic Teuton MemberEpic Teuton MemberEpic Teuton MemberEpic Teuton MemberEpic Teuton MemberEpic Teuton Member commander's Avatar

On the contrary, I think people's ego's and willingness to appear one of the 'best' is enough for a lot of people to try the extra 5% as you put it.

Things like raiding have their own incentive anyway...more resources > better account/hammer(s).

Edit: Just to add, yes of course I think it would add incentive to the already existing incentives, but I don't think there would be a drastic change to the order. The same people generally will still be the top attackers/raiders, and I'm sure there's some argument of unbalancing to be had somewhere in all this.
    Last edited by commander; 06 Jul 2017 at 04:32 PM.

Senior Teuton MemberSenior Teuton MemberSenior Teuton Member Elisa's Avatar

I'm kind of torn because while yes, it is a great achievement to get into the top ten page, those accounts don't really need to be any further ahead by giving them rewards that boost them in game!

But it might be cool if we could think of other things that could show up in the top ten. Maybe most hero points gained this week, most daily cp points gained this week without artes/artworks, any more ideas?

Its pretty easy to fix off/def points as well, someone might make an agreement to attack their mate with 1k phal if they do the same for example.
    Quote Originally Posted by antonio View Post
    You just jump around like a tart.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elros View Post
    MJ may be many things: a 15 year old who's raided his dads dress up box, a huge ego-loudmouth and a goat botherer to name but a few, but he generally writes a fair and unbiased analysis (except when I bribe him to say good things about me)

Epic Teuton MemberEpic Teuton MemberEpic Teuton MemberEpic Teuton MemberEpic Teuton MemberEpic Teuton Member commander's Avatar

Or kill their own clubs...which I've seen plenty of from someone trying to be top off on a server.

What about rewards for rank 11? that would be hilarious watching people battling to just drop off the bottom of top 10

Honoured Natarian MemberHonoured Natarian MemberHonoured Natarian MemberHonoured Natarian Member Trouble's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by commander View Post
    Or kill their own clubs...which I've seen plenty of from someone trying to be top off on a server.
    or tourney style
    kill there own scouts to farm it

best player in travian means nothing untill there is verification of identity
    (and more than just "whos email is that?")
    No-cringe signature.

I'd say it is all about rewarding the players for getting into the position. However, even if the rewards for claiming a top ten spot isn't much to the regulars, a smaller player may be inspired by the rewards, etc.
    When you feed rams, they get sent to the grave by me: http://travian-reports.net/us/report/496045ba4ba